P-2 visas: Participants in Reciprocal Exchange Programs

P-2 visas are available to artists or enter­tainers, either individually or as part of a group, who come to the U. S. to perform under a reciprocal exchange program between the u. s. and one or more other countries. All essential support person­nel are included. The legitimacy of the program must be evidenced by a formal, written exchange agreement. In addi­tion, a labor union in the U. S. must have either been involved in the negotia­tion of the exchange or have agreed to it. The U. S. individual or group being exchanged must have skills and terms of employment comparable to the person or group coming to the U. S.

3. P-3 visas: culturally Unique Groups

P-3 visas are available to artists or entertainers who come to the U. S., either individually or as part of a group, to develop, interpret, represent, teach, or coach in a program that is considered culturally unique. The program may be of either a commercial or noncommercial nature.

You must be coming to the U. S. to participate in a cultural event or events that will further the understanding or development of your art form. In addi­tion, your employer will have to submit on your behalf:

• statements from recognized experts showing the authenticity of your or your group’s skills in performing, presenting, coaching, or teaching the unique or traditional art form and showing the basis of your knowledge of your or your group’s skill, or

• evidence that your or your group’s art form is culturally unique, as shown by reviews in newspapers, journals, or other published materi­als, and that the performance will be culturally unique.

Essential support personnel of P-3 aliens should also request classification under the P-3 category. The documenta­tion for P-3 support personnel should include:

• a consultation from a labor organi­zation with expertise in the area of the alien’s skill

• a statement describing why the sup­port person has been essential in the past, critical skills, and experi­ence with the principal alien, and

• a copy of the written contract or a summary of the terms of the oral agreement between the alien and the employer.

4. Support Personnel for P-1, P-2, and P-3 visa Holders

Highly skilled, essential persons who are an integral part of the performance of a P-1, P-2, or P-3 visa holder may also be granted P visas. These persons must perform support services that cannot be readily performed by a u. s. worker and that are essential to the successful performance of services by the P-1, P-2, or P-3 visa holder. The support person must have appropriate qualifications to perform the services, critical knowledge of the specific services to be performed, and experience in providing such sup­port to the P-1, P-2, or P-3 visa holder. (see 8 C. F.R. § 214.2 (p)(3).)

Updated: 18th July 2015 — 3:10 pm