Employment for Accompanying relatives

Your accompanying spouse or minor children may apply to USCIS for permis­sion to work. However, they cannot get work permission if the money earned helps to support you, or is needed to support you. They are expected to use the money for such things as recreational and cultural activities and related travel.

If your accompanying spouse or chil­dren want to work, they must file separate applications for employment authorization. This can be done by completing the items on the checklist below and filing them with the usCIs service center nearest to where your program in the u. s. is being carried out (the address is on the usCIs website and the instructions to the form).

It is very important to keep the fee receipt usCIs will send so your family members can prove that the I-765 was filed (in case usCIs loses it).

usCIs is required to make a decision on employment authorization applications within 90 days. If the decision is in your accompanying relative’s favor, he or she will receive a work authorization card.

If the decision is not made within 90 days, your relative will, at his or her re­quest, be granted an interim employment authorization which will last for 240 days. To receive an interim card, your relative must visit a local usCIs district office and show the fee receipt. Then an interim work authorization card will be issued.

Once approved, the work permit will be valid for the duration of your (the J-1 principal’s), authorized stay as indicated on your Form I-94 or a period of four years, whichever is shorter.

Family Member Work Permit application checklist □ Form I-765 (Answer Question 16 "(c)(5)") □ Copies of I-94 cards. □ Two photos. □ Filing fee (currently $180). □ Biometrics fee if you haven't yet been fingerprinted for another immigration benefit (currently $70). □ Written statement explaining why the employment is for purposes other than supporting the J-1 visa holder, plus any supporting evidence regarding what's said in the statement. □ A monthly budget, detailing your sources of income and your expenses.

L. Annual Reports for Foreign medical Graduates

All foreign medical graduates training in the U. S. on J-1 visas are required to file annual reports with the usCIs lo­cal office having jurisdiction over their places of training. The reports are filed on Form I-644, which is self-explanatory. A copy of this form can be obtained from your program sponsor. Failure to file this report each year will result in the cancellation of your visa. ■

Updated: 18th July 2015 — 3:10 pm