Look at the corrected answers for the vocabulary exercise (exercise D) in section 1. Use the similar words to understand the meanings and to answer this vocabulary exercise. If the words in the following exercise are not in exercise D, look for them in the reading in order to understand their meanings. Do not use a dictionary.
DIRECTIONS: Circle the letter of the choice that best completes each sentence.
1. I want to know more about the_____ of the people: what they do every day and
how they spend their free time.
a. work b. lifestyle с products
2. My mother and my father work;____ of my parents work.
a. friendships b. some с both
3. I am wearing a suit today because I want to make a good_____
a. involvement b. custom с impression
4. Some people are happy about the changes, but____ are unhappy.
a. institutions b. personals с others
5. On the train I looked out the window at the_____
a. scenery b. products с customs
6. There are many different____ to the problem. It is not easy to understand.
a. images b. aspects с people
7. Schools and churches are___
a. lifestyles b. institutions с landscapes
8. My parents are very____ of me when I make good grades at school.
a. positive b. concept с proud
9. I am not_______ with him in any way.
a. involved b. entertained с valued
10. The two men work in different fields of study. They are not__________ each other.
a. associated with b. customs image of
Go back to the reading and put a question mark next to two or three sentences that you don’t understand very well. Discuss these sentences with your classmates and teacher.
DIRECTIONS: Complete the reading summary with words from this list. Try to complete it first without looking back at the reading.
When people from other (1)__________________________ think about
the United States, they probably have many different (2)_________________
_____________ Some may have an (3)___________________________ of an
American (4)________________________ such as a big car or a hamburger.
Others may think of American (5)_________________________ such as uni
People in the United States are proud of the beautiful (6)____________
_________________ They are also proud of the political (7)_______________
they have in this country, but some are concerned about American involvement in other countries.
The authors think that the most important thing in learning about another country is (8) of the people in that
Answers: “ •
1. British homemakers have different values from American homemakers. They want to spend a lot of time cooking for their families so they did not want an “instant” cake product.
2. The company thought that Americans and British homemakers had the same values. People speak English in both countries, but the cultures of the U. S. and Britain are very different.
^aqBjsiui siqj aqBiu Aired
-шоэ эщ pip л q, w—uoiuido moA зліо, wo|4j ‘,wopq s. i3,wsire> sqj qoaiQ •£
^puBjiug ui. reqndodun эдэлл saxiui aquo aqj quiqj noA op Аі[д •£
^ивэид hjubjsuih quiqj noA op jBq^ ‘I
-po. id siqj qjm aiaqj Аэиош jso[ Aired шоэ aqj рив \v jb. reqndod jou эдэлх saxiui aqBO hjubjsuih aqj ‘зрд aqj щ ‘лэлэлюн ‘ooj uiop§ur)j pajiupj aqj ui saxiui aqBO aqj qas oj papreap AuBduioo aqx ‘Suiqooo auuj jo joj в puads of juu/w jou pip рив ээиэгаэлиоэ рэщвл jnq saquo paquq qsaij paqq sjaqBraaraoq ajaqAV sajBj§ pajiupj aqj ui JBjndod Алэл sbav pnpojd siqx ‘aqBO hjubjsuih ив aABq рив ‘sajnuiui 0£ aqBq ‘oj дзівліррв noA xiui jo puiq aqj ‘saxiui aqBO hjubjsuih pээnpoлd AuBduioo ивэиэигу uy
■MO//OJ jeqj suoijsanb aqj jamsue риє peay :SN0ll03ldlC
лпоА jnoqB quiqj noA uaq/v jo pnoлd элв noA Soinqj auios элв іиі[д – p
^Suojav suapi. naqj эдв avojj ^A. ijunoo лпоА ui a[d – oad aqj до Аліипоо лпоА jnoqB suolssэлdшl aspy aABq лэлэ ajdoad oq ‘£
‘А. ципоэ Аид jo эидви aqj лвэq noA uaqAV jqinoqj js. uj лпоА si jBq^y :uoijsanb siqj saujunoo лэqlo шoлJ ajdoad івлалав qsy •£
pajiufj aqj jnoqB и. геэ[ oj noA до; JUBJЛodшl si jBqAV ‘uoiuido лпоА uj j
■suoijsanb Биімоцоj aqj JdMsuy – SNOIIOBUIQ
II jnoqv >|U|4± Э
■qooq siqj рвэл Aaqj uaqAV "(Ol) рив suapi uavo лlэql jnoqB quiqj oj влэрвэл (6) рив suiojsno лlэqJ :AлJunoэ